Do you have an Xbox One but just wish your download & internet speed was a little faster?
I’ve found myself with my Xbox One S downloading massive files can take a while, so I researched the internet trying to increase the download speed for myself and people just like you.
- Use a wired ethernet internet connection instead of Wi-fi for faster Xbox One downloads speeds and a more stable connection
- Change Your Xbox One’s DNS settings for faster internet connection
- Move your Xbox One closer to your Wi-Fi router to get a faster download speed
- Download games in rest mode for faster download speeds
- Pay for faster internet service or switch to fiberoptic for a sharp increase in Xbox One download speeds
- Move your Wifi router and Xbox One away from brick walls and other Wi-fi devices to increase the Wi-Fi signal
- Only download one game at a time for more efficient downloads.
I will discuss every method in detail so you can best troubleshoot your Xbox One and make the internet as fast as possible.
Are you sick of feeling unmotivated at work? How about making an online living creating content that your passionate about, sounds good right?
This is the life I’m living right now, all thanks to the online business course Project 24.
Want the best Xbox Series X accessories? Treat yourself or a friend to the best Xbox Series X products on Amazon by clicking here or the button below.
How To Get Fast Internet On Your Xbox One
Wired Ethernet For Faster Connection
Wired internet will get you the most reliable connection for online gaming. Although Wi-fi connection has come along way in recent years, the waves Wi-fi uses are reduced by many factors.
- Obstructions in your home such as walls(especially brick), doors and floors
- Distance between your router and your Xbox One
- Inferences from other devices using the same wi-fi connection, such as your smartphone or another console
These factors will reduce the “packets” (data transfer) or cause the packets to be delayed which is called latency, which will reduce both your download speed and internet speed.
Whereas with an ethernet cable(buy a super-fast one from Amazon here) the internet travels via a physical cable meaning everything mentioned above will not affect your internet connection, giving you a far more smoother gaming experience. Check out this post here for more information.
If you want a handy tutorial on how to set up internet for your Xbox One, both wired and via wi-fi check out this tutorial down below
How To Change Xbox One DNS Settings
Now changing your Xbox One’s DNS settings could have a MASSIVE impact on your download speeds, no matter if you’re using a wired or wireless internet connection.
Before you change the DNS settings make sure you do the following steps
- Disconnect your Xbox from a Wi-fi booster as wi-fi directly from the router has the best connection
- Remove wi-fi power setups
- Move console into more open airspace away from other electronic devices that are using the Wi-fi
- Move the Xbox away from brick walls
- Try to position the Xbox in the same room as the router or the room directly below it
- Try to limit the number of electronic devices using the same Wi-fi
How To Change Your Xbox DNS Settings Swift Method
This method will dramatically improve your internet connection but there is a more effective method that I will discuss later on. Both will work, but the more advanced one will make a bigger difference but it’s a little more complicated to setup.
- Navigate to settings>network>network transfer
- Turn off network transfer, if you don’t use this setting it will stop your Xbox being available in the local network which will improve your internet speed
- Go to network and navigate to network statistics wait a few minutes and you should see your download speed, Upload Speed, Latency and other statistics make a note of these statistics so you know how much you will improve them later
- Go to network>advanced settings>DNS settings>turn it to automatic
- Input the following Google DNS server which is considered the best for gaming Preferred DNS Server: 126.96.36.199, Alternate DNS Server: 188.8.131.52 or check out this list for the top 10 DNS servers for gaming
- Go back to detailed network statistics and see if your connection has improved
Now that’s it for the quick setup! Your Xbox should considerably faster download & upload speeds. Although if you want the VERY BEST connection possible I recommend you spend a few minutes and read the next subheading
How To Change Your DNS Settings Advanced Method
All you need is a computer that is running on the same connection as your Xbox preferably with a wired connection that is running Internet Explorer/Google Chrome
This method will give you the best DNS settings for every device from a PS4 or a computer
- Turn on your PC and navigate to this website which is Googles DNS Benchmark tool
- Download and extract the “namebench” program which matches your operating system for Mac it will be the one at the top(namebench-1.3.1-Mac_OS_X.dmg), for Windows the one directly below it “namebench-1.3.1-Windows.exe“
- Remember for best results have your laptop/computer directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable as this helps eliminate any external factors that could interfere with your DNS settings to get the best results possible.
- Make sure you tick the two options near the nameserver and have the health check performance as “fast” I recommend having the number f queries as 250 which will take longer but give you much stabler results
- Now this will take between 20-30 minutes so start playing your Xbox or do whatever in the meantime
- An internet explorer tab will open up giving you various forms of data avg (ms) of Ping, the difference between mini & max-min and much more
- Ideally, you want to find the most stable ping that has the smallest difference between max and min, choose that one for your primary DNS & the second-best for your secondary
- Navigate back to DNS settings and input the primary and secondary DNS settings you found in the explorer tab
- Restart your Xbox One to make sure all the DNS settings are calibrated
- Check your network statistics and compare your new results compared to your older results
- Repeat this 1-3 months to ensure you get your very best DNS settings as it will evolve and change over time
- Enjoy your super quick improved Xbox One internet connection!
Now this will work for all versions of the Xbox from the Xbox One S, original Xbox and Xbox One X. If you prefer a video explanation of how to best optimise your DNS settings for your Xbox One, check out the video below
What is the fastest DNS server for Xbox one?
Check out this website for the list of the fastest DNS servers for the Xbox One, but in general, for gaming, it is Googles DNS server which the primary DNS server is 184.108.40.206 and the secondary DNS server is .8.4.4
What Is A Good Ping Speed For Gaming
The less ping you have the better for internet speeds, 50ms ping is very good, less than 100 is good to average and 150 is when problems with games will start arising and more than 150 you could experience lag and have issues with games.
Transform your Xbox experience learn about the best Xbox accessories down below on Amazon.
|Top||PowerA Play & Charge Kit For Xbox One||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||PDP Gaming Remote Control: Xbox One, Blu-Ray, Streaming Media||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: 3 Month Membership [Digital Code]||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||Xbox Core Controller - Robot White||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||PowerA Dual Charging Station for Xbox -||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||WD_BLACK 5TB P10 Game Drive, Portable External Hard Drive HDD||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Gaming Headset –||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top||Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership Card||Prime||See the latest pricing|